Friday, November 13, 2015

STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

PIGS IN THE BLANKET

Pigs in the Blanket

When I spotted a huge cabbage Saturday at our Farmer's Market here is Roanoke, Virginia, I knew I had to have it to recreate my mother's recipe for “Pigs in the Blanket.” The cabbage came from Floyd, Virginia, where they are known for their immense vegetables, especially their cabbage.

There are many different names for this remarkable dish. It is called Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, by the Yugoslavians, Golabki by the Polish and many nationalities call it Stuffed Cabbage. I always heard it referred to as Pigs in the Blanket, which is a far cry from the southern version of hot dogs wrapped in a bun.

Can You Believe the Size of This Cabbage!

Recipes for this dish can be found in Germany and France and all around the Baltic. They vary in the amounts and types of meat used and some versions do not add saurkaraut. My mother never wrote her recipe down. I often watched her make it as a child and then started my own version when I took up housekeeping. I combine my mother’s recipe, which was given to her by Pauline Gulakowski, with my own particular twist.

Yum. It Tastes Very Similar to My Mother's "Pig in the Blanket"

Here is my recipe.

1- large head of green cabbage, cored and steamed in hot water till soft

Sauce:

¼ cup butter
1 T. sour cream
1 C. heavy cream
1 C. chopped yellow onions
1 t. garlic
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. sugar
1-28 oz. can chopped tomatoes (or crushed) and juices
1 large can tomato soup
2 teaspoons paprika
1 LB sauerkraut

Filling:

2 large yellow onions, chopped fine
2 clove garlic, chopped
1 lb gr beef
1 lb gr pork
2 cups cooked long grain white rice
2 eggs
1 t. gr pepper or more to taste
1 t. salt or more to taste
4 t. butter
A good shake of my Magic Garlic Sprinkles (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place head of cabbage in a large pot and fill with water, bring to boil then remove from heat, separate the leaves and remove the hard leaves. Lay on work surface, with rib side down.

Make sauce:

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, cream, sour cream , vinegar, tomatoes and tomato soup and paprika.

Fill each of the cabbage rolls with a handful of the filling. Wrap the cabbage around the filling and shape into a neat bundle. Do this with remaining cabbages.

Make filling:

Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl and mix with your hands.

Place a layer of all the sauerkraut on the bottom of a large baking dish. Layer the sauce over, saving half for the top. Lay the cabbages into the dish and cover with remaining sauce. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for about 2 ½ hours or longer if needed.

.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

  1. Oh how I love these, and your recipe looks fantastic. Unfortunately, my hubby doesn't eat them and it's a lot to make for one person. But you sure did have my mouth watering this morning.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl! just love the sound of these ingredients. I made these for the very first time last month (surprised that Richard loved them). I shall now try your recipe for sure, esp. the sauerkraut Yum! THAT is the biggest cabbage I have ever seen in my life...never knew they could be this large. Thank you for your recipe and love the back stories, esp. about watching your mom. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is cabbage. WOW. This recipe sounds great I will give it a try. I am making Feta Cheese today.
    Have a great day today

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet of you to share this wonderful recipe! I love stuffed cabbage by any name... though can't remember the last time I've made *or* had it! I've got cabbage (always do) and a larder of most everything else. I believe you've inspired me!

    And yeah ~ WOW ~ AWEsome cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome cabbage. That recipe sounds great and you are looking great. Hope you are doing well. Good to see you.

    ReplyDelete

If convenient, please leave a comment. I read every one and thoroughly enjoy hearing your thoughts.