Tuesday, January 5, 2010

COMFORT FOOD

COMFORT FOOD

HEARTWARMING AND GRATIFYING


Clam Chowder

The other night I went to a “comfort food” get together. Fortunately for me, the party took place the night before I started my diet. I wasn’t sure what to bring. What food would I consider most comforting? After going through the entire gambit I finally honed in on soup. It had to be soup. On these blustery winter days, can there be anything better than a bowl of heartwarming soup?

I leafed through my soup recipes and when I came to my clam chowder, I knew that was the one I wanted to make.


Clam Chowder with large steamer clams

My friends brought many satisfying dishes as well. Below are pictures of some of the offerings.

Nancy’s scrumptious meatloaf



Wayne’s soul satisfying Chicken and Bean Chili


Jason’s luscious Chocolate Pound Cake

Our dinner party was a success. We are planning on a French themed dinner for late February. I’ll be sure to show you what transpires. I also hope you will forgive me for showing you pictures of this yummy food, especially if you are on a diet like I am. This will be something to look forward to in the future when you have lost the weight you hope to.

Here is my recipe for the clam chowder. Hope you like it.

Nina’s Clam Chowder


1 lb butter
1 cup flour
5 T. butter
5 cups onions, chopped
3 T. garlic, minced
4 cups celery
6 large bay leaves
4 T. kosher salt
3 T. black pepper
10 cups clam juice
5 cups diced, peeled potatoes
5 cups steamer clams (from can)
4 cups minced clams (from can)
1 ½ cup cooked, crumbled pepper bacon
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup thyme, fresh or 3 T. dried
1 T. lemon juice
Handful of chopped parsley

In small pot, make a roux by melting the pound of butter over low head and slowly mixing in the flour until it thickens, stirring continuously. Set aside and place lid on it to keep warm.

In large 3 gallon stock pot, melt the 5 T. butter. Add celery, garlic, onions, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cook til it is lightly browned, stirring often. Add the clam juice and let it cook until it is warm.

Add the potatoes and bring the chowder to a boil, stirring often. Once the chowder is boiling, add the clams, bacon, cream, thyme, lemon and parsley. Stir the soup and let it cook until hot. Remove from the heat and slowly stir in the roux until blended.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

If convenient, please leave a comment. I read every one and thoroughly enjoy hearing your thoughts.