Wednesday, July 6, 2011

BURNING BOWLS

CEREMONIAL BURNING BOWLS

Ceremonial Burning Bowls

Unity Church has a special ceremony each New Year’s Eve. A large bowl is placed at the altar and each member of the church is asked to write down problems or vices they wish to annihilate from their lives.. It could be a wish to quit smoking or drinking. It might be a desire to loose weight or to quit any of a number of addictions. Each person places their list into the bowl and at midnight, the bowl is lit. Everyone watches as the fire burns away all the troubles.

Burning Bowl number 1 "Bronwyn" Approx 6" w x 6" d x 9" h $58.00

Sold. Thank you Dorothy and Cherie!

Years ago, I decided to make small, individual burning bowls. They were a big hit but since they take quite a bit of time to create, I haven’t made them for a long time. Prompted by one of my customers, I decided to give them a go again. So. Here they are. Hope you like them.

Close-up of glass bottom

I created them with stoneware clay. I cut and placed stained glass in the bowl area and then fired in my kiln. After the firing, I embellished them with all sorts of mystical and mysterious looking objects.

Burning Bowl number 2 "Maeve" Approx. 9" w x 9"d x 10" h $86.00

I never know what will emerge from my kiln when I open the door. One time, one of the faces fell flat down and was forever immortalized in glass. Another time, the glass did not melt properly and was sticking up here and there. I never know, even though I do everything exactly the same for each firing. There are technical reasons for it I’m sure, like maybe the temperature of one of the rings in the kiln wasn’t hot enough or maybe the glass was too dense or perhaps the clay not dried enough. Who knows. That is part of the reason I don’t make them too often. This particular batch turned out great and all 4 are for sale. You’ll notice that I made one large one for those of us who seem to have an abundance of problems they’d like to see gone from their life!


Full view of Maeve

Burning Bowl number 3 "Azar" 5" w x 6" d x 11" h $54.00


Burning Bowl number 4 "Brighid" 5" w x 5" d x 9" h $54.00

I've decided to give my students a choice of making either a planter or a burning bowl during the sculpture class I will be giving in August. By the way, there is one more space left!

All are for sale. Please e-mail me for any questions or to purchase. I take all major credit cards and Paypal. Thank you!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

29 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Even the glass bottom is exquisite with those shades of blue and green. If I were able to be in your class, I'd definitely opt to try to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely Cheryl. I know all the participants will love making these. The stained glass really adds to it. Also when you are not burning in them, could you use them as a planter to sit a pot in? Or maybe place pretty stones or shells? Lots of uses I presume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cheryl, these are so cool. i love every single one of them! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl, every time your post another piece your creativity blows me away! These are stunning and exotic. If I were lucky enough to be a student in your upcoming class, I'd have a very difficult time trying to make a decision between choosing these beautiful bowls and the planter. Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these are amazing! So beautiful and sacred! I am going to feature this blog on my facebook fan page!

    Salute!
    Yoli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow these are fabulously exotic and am sure they will sell quickly. Sure beats my worry dolls, where you place a little doll for each of your worries under your pillow and in the morning the worries are no longer there. Yours are total works of art. Amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think these lovely bowls could also come in handy when burning sage for a house cleansing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you have gone and done it!!! My excitement level just went up another notch. Or was it two notches? So looking forward to August. And since I have one of your marvelous planters, I have no choice but to want to make one of these fantastic burning bowls. Avidly your blog follower! Trish

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these designs!!!
    Can I buy one?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your burning bowls are beautiful and what a wonderful way to free ourselves from burdens/worries with the burning ceremony. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are awesome.
    What a wonderful art and handcraft

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really beautiful - I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cheryl. Great work. I always love your work. I think it's a great way to free ourselves of whatever is bothering us. I would also burn incense in there. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Cheryl! I love the symbolical practice of writing down all your problems and worries in life and burning them away in a ceremony. We used to do that during my high school retreat. It's a good way of reminding myself that this too shall pass.

    Your ceremonial bowls are a great work of art. The bowl gives meaning and life to everyone. The bowl would remind us that no matter how life hard is, problems and worries don't stay forever. It will eventually vanish. The only thing that stays permanent in our life and the world is change. So soon, all those negativities will go away with the help of your creations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I learned a lot about ceremonial bowls from your post. And they look difficult to make, too. You always tackle things that inspire, though. I can see the large bowl being something the guys who lost my shelf poles/posts could use about now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cheryl, you always stay true and shine so brightly...your last painting, The Lace Maker, is unmistakably you!
    The burning bowls are fantastic. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, these are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are AMAZING! I love the idea of placing wishes for help in dealing with problems and sending them out to the universe- wonderful! I also really live how expressive each of the faces are, especially Brighid with her searching eyes. Really wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sensational Idea To Lift Wishes Up To The Universe! I Can Definitely See All The Work That Went Into These Beautiful Pieces! Incredible Expressions Of Design And Texture! Truly Lovely Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cool, your students are going to have a hard time deciding which one they want to do!

    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic idea to burn up all your worries and vices. Your bowls are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are very beautiful and I love the idea of the "burning" of negative habits and thoughts. It really brings into focus that which is keeping us trapped. These are another brilliant creation- you have such a creative way of bringing beautiful form and function to your pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very beautiful, Cheryl. I had to chuckle when you wrote about creating a larger bowl for those of us who need more space for burning. Perhaps a burning trough??? :))

    This is a great idea ... In Israel they have the Western Wall, also known as the Wailing Wall. Many write prayers, asks G-d to grant them favors, and other private thoughts on small pieces of paper before tucking the note into one of the many crevices on the wall. Your burning bowl reminds me much of this very sacred tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cheryl I like the idea behind these burning bowls, they are gorgeous.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're healing nature shines out in your art and your blog... YOu shine!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Is brighid available?
    I would love to purchase!
    I am late in getting back yo you and hope I can purchase!!

    ReplyDelete

If convenient, please leave a comment. I read every one and thoroughly enjoy hearing your thoughts.