Wednesday, August 7, 2013

FRENCH TOMATO PIE

FRENCH TOMATO PIE

Slice of French Tomato and Cheese Pie

I made my French Tomato Pie last night and it was the perfect dish for a humid August evening. The tomatoes were the real thing. Unfortunately not my own because the rains this summer just haven’t worked for my garden. I purchased them from our Farmer’s Market here in Roanoke. They were all acidy and yummy tasting in the pie.

Pie Just Out Of The Oven

One thing I like about this pie is the fact that it is super easy to make and is lighter than most tomato pies I have tried in the past. The other thing I really like about it is that it takes only minutes to prepare. The recipe comes from a cookbook I‘ve had since the early 70’s called “”The Joy of Eating French Food” by Renny Darling.

FRENCH TOMATO AND CHEESE PIE

1 9-inch deep dish pie shell-defrosted. (Carefully place shell into a 10” quiche or pie pan and pat it down to fit

About 3 large tomatoes, chopped fine for summer or in the winter I use 1 lb stewed tomatoes, drained and finely chopped

¼ pound mushrooms, thinly sliced 2 C. grated Swiss cheese or about 8 oz. 1 T. Parsley ¼ t. basil and thyme ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese Black olives, onion rings or capers to taste for top 2 t. Olive oil

Bake pie shell in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Combine the remaining ingredients except the black olives etc. which go on top. Mix well. Spread these evenly over the preared shell. Place black olives on top. Drizzle top with 2 t. olive oil.

Bake in 350 degree oven until cheeses are melted and top is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Serves 6 (sometimes only two!)

Bon Appetit!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

  1. Sounds YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have copied this receipe & may just be tempted to fix it.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! New friends are vegetarian. I'll be using this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shared this one to an FB friend, Cheryl.
    ♥♥♥ Beautiful chefs. Beautiful, simple food.
    Nothing is better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And just like that I'm hungry :)

    I appreciate the real tomatoes which makes the entire pie so yummy and healthy.

    Have a great day Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my that looks delicious! Will have to give it a go. And like you, it will have to be from tomatoes not grown in my yard :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe! Looks and sounds soooo good! I don't have tomatoes of my own either right now but there is a local farmer's veggie stand nearby that I will surely visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheryl. That really looks delish! Thanks for the recipe. I may make that soon. Hope you enjoyed it.:) Take care. gloria

    ReplyDelete

If convenient, please leave a comment. I read every one and thoroughly enjoy hearing your thoughts.